Have you ever wondered where Americans get the book they read? The Freckle Report claims to have answers to this because that’s precisely what they asked 667 adults in the United States in their April 2022 survey. As revealed by Book Riot, the results are as interesting than important because they illuminate the trend of consumers when it comes to getting printed books, e-books or audio books that they want to read or listen to. The survey also emphasizes the role libraries play in enabling readers to get what they want to read.
For example, of the facts that have been highlighted, 57% of books are read in print format, while the remaining 43% are in the form of eBooks or audiobooks. This shows that good old print books are still above consumer preferences, although the numbers have dropped significantly as 76% of books were read in print before the pandemic.
Moreover, the fact that the popularity of audiobooks continues to rise is evident in the report which revealed that the particular book format, as a percentage of digital interactions, saw a sharp increase from just 4% in 2019. to 16% in 2022. That libraries continue to play an important role in enabling users to have the content they need is also evident given that 18% of readers have obtained their materials, both print and digital, from libraries.
That said, online retailers have become the main source of reading material, with 43% choosing to buy their reading material from online sources. This came at the expense of sales through offline stores which saw a 15% drop, while people buying books from family and friends also fell 15%.
“This latest survey shows that libraries are helping to get books into people’s hands,” said John Chrastka, executive director of EveryLibrary Institute. “There is a lingering misconception that libraries are becoming obsolete, but the survey shows that books and reading continue to be an important part of American culture. In addition, libraries play a vital role in reading communities and culture.
Mr. Chrastka also said, “Libraries continue to uplift people, providing them with reading materials, research materials and other resources. And we should continue to support libraries in our communities.
With a keen interest in technology, I make it a point to keep up to date with the latest developments in the world of technology and gadgets. This includes smartphones or tablets, but even extends to AI and self-driving automobiles, the latter being my latest fad. In addition to writing, I like watching videos, reading, listening to music or experimenting with different recipes. Cinema is another aspect that interests me a lot and maybe I will make a film in the future.